Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 3

Another great day. I felt a little sleepy when the alarm went off this morning but once I got moving I was all good. I had to buy a new camelbak last night for our hikes because the one I borrowed didn't hold enough water so I needed to upgrade. I also ended up purchasing a new Polar watch so I can track how many calories I'm burning throughout the day and also track my heart rate during the different activies/exercises. Today was my first day wearing it and here are the results. I burned a total of 3650 calories in 13.5 hours which means I should have lost a pound today since you only need to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound. Keep in mind by body will keep burning calories while I sleep and I'm not wearing my heart rate monitor to bed so I know that number will just keep increasing over the next few hours.

So another jammed packed day of great lectures and exercise.

Here is my schedule for the day & menu:


6:15 a.m. Hike Descriptions

6:30 a.m. Leave for Hike
As I mentioned in my previous post all of us were assessed on our fitness ability yesterday and divided into groups with whom we would hike with for the rest of the week. I have a great hiking group and I must say today's hike was really a hike. I really don't have any hiking experience so I found this hike really challenged me today. It was an amazing hike and I wish we had this kind of terrain to hike on back home. It involved a lot of climbing and lasted for over 2 hours and ended up being 9.5 km. Here are a few pics from the hike this morning.

A view from where I climbed too at one point during our hike.

This was a cave we climbed too and went into......so neat and beautiful.

Excited I finally reached the top.......now the fun part climbing back down.

9:30 a.m. Breakfast

This peach muffin was to die for.......I bought the cook book so I can make all this wonderful food at home. I will just have to remember I can only eat one muffin for breakfast and not 2 or 3 like the old me would do.

10: 15 a.m. Emotional Growth Workshop
In this lecture we all had to write down why we were here at Fitness Ridge and some of the healthy and unhealthy things we say about ourselves. The leader had people in the class share their thoughts and it got quite emotional to hear how some people really feel about themselves. This lecture made it really real to me the emotional side that so many of us have to deal with through this process.........it was totally heart breaking but hopefully with some time here these people will realize that they are beautiful people and loved by many people.

11:15 a.m. Stretch
I'm totally loving stretch class...........45 minutes of great stretches and it felt great after a really tough hike this morning.

12: 15 p.m. Lunch

The tomato soup was amazing!

The lettuce wraps weren't my favourite but I finished them and liked them more by the end. The ones from PF Changs are much yummier but I'm guessing not a healthy as these.

1:00 p.m. Calorie Challenge
This was fun......we were divided into tables and had to guess how many calories were in the meals they showed us. Our group didn't do that well but it was a fun exercise.

1:30 p.m. Cooking Demo
Chef Cameron came out and showed us some of the products he uses to cook our meals. He even did a demo on how to make the wonderful parfaits we had last night and another dish so we could make them at home.

2:30 p.m. Total Toning
Loved this class as it burned my arms like crazy. Basically we used free weights and did a bunch of different exercises for 45 minutes. Love lifting weights to this was a great class.

3:30 p.m. H20 Intervals
Another hard class in the pool. Did interval training and my arms were on fire since I had just come from the Total Toning class and then had another 45 minutes in the pool where we worked are arms like crazy.

4:30 p.m. Cardio Intervals
Favourite class of the day. Of course I picked the treadmill to do this exercise on. We had to do 30 second intervals and increase our speed at each interval 8 times. Then once we got to 8th interval we worked our way back down decreasing our speed at each interval. Then we had a 2 minutes recovery period and then a 1 minute speed workout where we had to go as fast as we could. I really pushed myself and was running at a 9 on the treadmill and then up it to 9.5 for the last 30 seconds. That's the fastest I have gone on a treadmill and by the time I'm done here I will be running faster on that thing. After the speed interval we had another 1 minute recovery period and then repeated the whole thing over again starting with our 30 8 level intervals. This took about 45 minutes again and I felt great after.

5:30 p.m. Dinner

Shepard's pie was yummy
Best part of the day.........chocolate covered strawberries. Never thought 2 strawberries would taste so wonderful.........normally I would eat a dozen of these things but 2 was such a great treat.

6: 15 p.m. Lecture: Spending your calories wisely part 2
Just another lecture on the foods we should be eating which was great!

I feel great (except for this blister on my foot that developed this morning on my hike) and already feel stronger. Totally the best decision I've made was to come here.

Looking forward to tomorrow as we have a kick boxing class............wonder if it will be any thing like Al's kickboxing class at home.....will keep you posted.




No comments:

Post a Comment