Tuesday, August 31, 2010

2 week at home update

I can't believe I've been home for over 2 weeks already. I have to admit I miss Fitness Ridge so much and all the wonderful people I met during my stay there. I've been able to stay in touch with most of the people I met there through email or facebook so we can keep up to date on everyones progress.

My first day home I spent grocery shopping for all the wonderful foods I ate during my stay at FR. I spent a lot time going through the cookbooks I bought while I was there and planning my week with what food I was going to eat. I spent a lot of time cooking up a storm so I would have meals ready to eat for the week. With my marathon training schedule I run 2 nights a week with my running group and normally don't get home until after 8:00 p.m. at which time I normally would just eat whatever was in sight but the new me has meals ready for me to eat when I get home. My husband Jamie has been great with trying the food I've been making. He's not 100% sold on the ground turkey but he is coming around. I've been very good at tracking all of my calories which is the key for me. I don't have a gym membership but I have been doing my free weights at home and have even been trying to get up in the morning at least once a week to get a morning exercise in. I much prefer to exercise at night as I like my sleep in the morning and exercising in my basement by myself isn't as exciting as those breathtaking hikes we started every early morning off with at FR.

I completed the Mid Summers Night 30km run in Toronto last weekend and I was so happy to have had a great run. I got all my long training runs in while I was at FR but I have to admit they were very painful. After working out for as many hours I did and then have to do a 30km run on a Saturday morning just wiped me out. I completed the run in Toronto in 3 hours and 15 minutes. I felt amazing and had more in me to keep going. After this run I was confident that I should have no problem completing my marathon in 4 hours and 45 minutes.

One of my biggest fears of coming home was dealing with all the junk food at work but to be honest I don't even desire that type of food anymore. My body craves whole foods that will help fuel my body and I have noticed a major difference in how I feel, my energy level and my skin has even cleared up. My co-workers have been amazing as well and there has been no junk in the office since I've returned. Halloween is fast approaching so I'm sure the candy bars will be making an appearance sometime.

It's amazing how truly simple calories in vs calories out truly is and how so many struggle with this basic math. I used to be one of those girls who would weigh herself every morning to see if I had lost or gain a pound. Since returning home I no longer step on the scale on a daily basis because I know how many calories I'm putting into my body and how many I'm burning. I did jump on the scale today so see if my math was correct and it was......another 2 pounds lost since returning home for at total weight lost of 13 pounds. I put a pair of pants on today and was reminded again the change in my body. I think a shopping trip is in order soon for some smaller pants which is always exciting.

My advice for all of you is to start tracking your food......you will be surprised how many calories your actually consuming when you don't keep track. Also when eating out check out the nutritional info before eating out. You will be surprised to see how some of the foods you think are healthy choices are not at all. Plan your food for the week and track and you will be on your way!


  1. Way to go Lyndsay! You sound excited and give some great advice that everyone could follow. Can't wait to hear details about the Chicago marathon :)

  2. Proud of you! Way to go girl! I am finding the transition quite easy at home. When I'm hungry I eat and chose healthy whole foods, tons of water, and no cravings for junk, chocolate or diet coke yet!